Sunday, May 30, 2010

Random bitching that has no real order or flow

Remember the neighbors that came by to comment on my chickens/garden, one of them being named Lovin' Dan? Well, they stopped by again, and now I know how annoying they are. I foolishly complied with their request to see my garden in an effort to be neighborly. Lovin' Dan was accompanied by his fluffy little dog on a leash, which he then allowed to STOMP ALL OVER MY RAISED BEDS AND VEGETABLES. I freaked out, he moved away from the bed, then HE DID IT AGAIN. Then his significant other, whom he refers to as Lady Barbara, noticed my radishes. They're a little overgrown, and Braden doesn't eat them, so I offered a few to Lady Barbara. A FEW. I turned my back, and fat ass picked 50 percent of my row! What the hell? Multiple other annoying moments followed. So, I got them the hell out of there, smiled and said "see ya neighbors", and have resigned myself to not letting neighbors into my yard anymore.

I love the idea of sharing how-to's on gardening and chicken raising in a hopeful attempt to inspire neighbors and create a feeling of community here. But fuck 'em. I forgot how much I enjoy privacy and solitude at home, and dislike most people. I have a strong disdain for people that have obviously never considered where their food comes from, how it's grown, or haven't tried growing it themselves. It's troubling that it takes an "urban farmer" or "green" movement (fad) in this country in order for most people to even be aware of their food's origin. Anthropologically, how we sustain ourselves is the reason why some of us lead cancer free and care free lives, and some of us live in a wage society riddled with disease and depression. Biologically, it's just how we live! It's pretty damn important. On top of that, I really don't care for someone whose only intent is to mooch off of my garden, and has no interest in researching this shit for themselves. Which leads me to another huge pet peeve:

The lack of inquisitiveness in so many people, and also the inability to apply knowledge learned. Unless someone is illiterate, doesn't have access to reading materials, or is an all knowing being, one should try picking up a book now and then to learn something. It's safe to say that I read for, at the very least, a couple of hours every single day. A lot of what I've learned in my garden has come from hands on experience, but I've also gleaned a great deal from reading and research. When I read about something that I didn't know before, I can only describe how I feel in that moment as euphoric. I want to know all that I can, so why doesn't everyone else? Also, if I give you the tools (metaphorically) to start providing food for yourselves, then do it. Don't keep asking for vegetables! Didn't I tell you how to grow tomatoes? Didn't I tell you about 5 different wild foods that grow all around us just last week? Thought...then action. It's fun to share my food with friends, but there needs to be some sort of balanced reciprocity in order for me to want to continue doing that. If I give you some greens and some how to on how to grow or gather your own, and you then do that at least once, I'm satisfied.

Last year, I had some of the neighborhood kids over to see the chickens and look around at the vegetables and plants. One little girl said to me "You sure are active!", and continued on to tell me things her mom and aunt had said about me "always doing somethin'" in the yard, and how they thought it was strange, impressive, and just a bunch of hard work. Those comments really surprised me, because I don't see it that way at all. My actions aren't impressive, I'm just not lazy, and I don't waste my time or brain watching the tube. Digging in the garden, building fences, tanning hides, growing food from seeds, cleaning up chicken shit, splitting wood, weeding, reading, watching insects and birds for hours, sweating, picking mulberries, hauling rocks....or whatever I'm doing...isn't work. It's meditation. Which leads me to more trailing random pet peeves:

People who do not enjoy physical labor, or complain of boredom. Horticulture takes some work. Get over it. You're going to sweat, and have to dig. Sometimes you're muscles will ache, and sometimes you'll cut yourself (and don't go running for the Neosporin, you little germ-o-phobic sissies). It's just gardening. It's a fantastic feeling to go to sleep exhausted after a long day digging in the dirt. I don't know why so many people are opposed to getting sweating, dirty, and burning calories. And trust me, if you have a garden, you'll never be bored. Nothing makes me want to know someone less then when that person mutters the words, "I'm bored." Holy shit. Really? Because if you're bored, then you must not have many thoughts, interests, and happenings in your life. Instead of people saying "I'm bored", they should start saying, "I'm an uninteresting person."

Man, am I starting to get mean? I think I should go for bike ride and chill out before I start writing super shitty things. See: thought....now action.

No comments: